Aurora, Illinois , United States
The John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center is a transformative project that builds on three central themes in urban revitalization: The arts; mixed-use development; and partnerships to achieve adaptive use and preservation goals. It is a programmatically complex historic preservation and adaptive-reuse project that repositions two important landmark buildings at the center of Stolp Island in downtown Aurora.
The Center provides 38 new affordableartist-preference apartments (Artesan Lofts); a performing arts school (Paramount School of the Arts); theater rehearsal spaces (Paramount Theatre rehearsal spaces); and a restaurant (Stolp Island Social House) housed within 80,000 square feet of historic buildings. Bringing in the Paramount School as a major tenant creates synergy between the Arts Center and the adjacent historic Paramount Theater. The resulting development has spurred Aurora’s ongoing downtown revitalization.
The Aurora Arts Center is comprised of the historic Block and Kuhl and Stanley Building, completed in 1928 and 1925 respectively. The two buildings were jointed at the interior in the late 1980s to serve as the downtown campus for the Waubonsee Community College. After the community college moved down the block, the floorplates of these buildings proved a redevelopment puzzle, causing the buildings to sit idle for over six years. The long neglected, dilapidated buildings had frustrated previous redevelopment and threatened perceptions of downtown Aurora. Their adaptive reuse, with the three main program elements distributed throughout the buildings was challenging and required creative thinking. The Aurora Arts Center brings new life to these historic buildings and downtown Aurora.
|Design Architects and Architects of Record||Cordogan Clark|
|Restaurant design and buildout||DXU|
|Restoration||MacRostie Historic Advisors|
|General Contractor||McShane Construction|
|Restaurant design||Ode Creative Consulting|
|Site size||100000 平方英尺|
Editing and translation: Ing, ©️FULLDES authorized publishing, copyright from the Author, Image copyright from the photographer or Company
The firm was founded in Chicago in 1951 by Louis C. Cordogan. He added a second office in Aurora Illinois in l968. Lou Cordogan apprenticed with the regional pioneer modernists Keck + Keck Architects and with Paul Schweiker. At the leading edge of architectural and technological innovation, these firms were concerned with aesthetically refined high-performance design and construction. Lou’s own practice built on this solid foundation and matured to include diverse financial, religious, residential and hotel projects. Lou always worked to synthesize durable design and construction.
John Cordogan, Managing Partner, joined the firm in 1973. In 1984 John Clark joined the firm as a founding partner of Cordogan, Clark & Associates. The firm has since grown significantly and is now a privately owned corporation of 80 professionals including, 54 architects / engineers / planners. Crain’s Chicago Business has ranked CCA as one of the 20 largest architectural firms in Chicago, and CCA is the largest architectural firm in Kane County. The firm is organized in two offices with John Cordogan, Principal in Charge of the Aurora office and John Clark, Principal in Charge of the Chicago office. Architects and engineers within the firm are affiliated with numerous professional associations including the American Institute of Architects and are licensed by NCARB to practice through the United States.